Butternut Squash Bisque
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, plus a few whole chives for garnish
- salt and ground black pepper
(*Can add carrots and sweet potatoes for a sweet finish and for color)
This is a fragrant, creamy, and delicately flavored soup with a wonderful color. Substitute vegetable stock if you are catering for vegetarians.
Total Time: 2 hours
Recipe by Ty Dillon
1. Melt the butter or margarine in a large pan. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the squash*, stock, potatoes, and paprika. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for about 35 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
3. Pour the soup into a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return the soup in the pan.
4. Stir in the cream, if using. Season with salt and pepper and reheat gently. Stir in the chopped chives just before serving. Garnish each serving with a few whole chives.
- 2018 Cellar Club Grenache
- 2019 Estate Chardonnay