Duck Carnitas Tacos
- 4 duck thighs, with fat
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 orange
- 12-18 corn tortillas
- your choice of salsa
- 2 cups shredded lettuce or cabbage
- 1 cup sweet onions, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup radishes, chopped
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- lime wedges
Carnitas are usually made with pork cooked in its own fat, a technique resembling making a confit. With homemade salsa and an abundance of garnishes, this taco went from simple to spectacular!
Total Time: 2.5 hours
Recipe by Epices de Cru
1. Remove fat from thighs. Place the thighs, duck fat, onion, garlic, and salt in a large enough pan, to make only one layer.
2. Pour water halfway up the thighs. Cover and boil for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the cover and let steam for 1h to 1h15, until the meat is tender and begins to fall apart. Remove from heat and let rest for 1 hour. (You can also crockpot the meat and slow cook all day)
4. Remove the duck from the pan. Pour ½ cup of cooking fat into another pan. Add the duck and orange juice. Cook on medium heat until the juice is absorbed, and the meat begins to brown.
5. Reduce the heat and thoroughly brown the duck pieces for about 15 minutes. Take the meat out of the pan, remove the bones then shred, using a fork, or chop the meat with a knife. (you can also shred and put on a baking sheet to crisp up the meet verse using a pan)
6. Heat tortillas in a very hot, dry pan. Set aside in a basket, lined with a napkin to keep them hot and soft.
7. Garnish the tortillas with the carnitas, salsa, lettuce, onion, radishes, and coriander.
8. Fold tacos and add some lime juice and more salsa, to taste.
- 2019 Rare & Reserve Tannat
- 2017 & 2019 Rare & Reserve Petit Sirah
- 2020 Cotes-du-Robles Rouge